So, I’ve been planning on doing this post for a couple of weeks, but between work and travel I haven’t gotten around to it. Also, expect a small garden update soon (Spoiler: OMG, my zucchini plants are huge already!).
Alright, so this is going to be a general overview of what Matt did to patch up the hole in the roof caused, or at least worsened, by our friendly neighborhood raccoons. I made him take my camera up on the roof and take pictures as he went, but he missed taking a picture of the hole before he pulled up the shingles initially. These first four images are of what it looked like when he pulled up the shingles. (I think he’s also done some of the sawing that I’ll talk about next)
Matt made sure to cut out all of the rotten, crumbling wood and made the hole into a rectangle that he could easily measure for replacement wood. He then took precise measurements and we went and bought 1/2 inch plywood and had them cut it down as close as we could, and then did the rest of the cutting ourselves with the super high-tech hand saw that you see in this picture.
When you go to Home Depot for your supplies, you will need the plywood, asphalt felt (tar paper), shingles (its best to take one of your shingles in to match color and size and such) and roofing nails. Also a ladder, and a lack of fear of climbing said ladder onto the roof (which is why these images were taken by Matt, and not myself). When we were at the store looking for the asphalt felt, there were two types available. They are the same price, but since one is so much thicker and higher quality, it covers half as much area. Since we didn’t need that much of it, and it came in large rolls, we got the more expensive type, because why not? Also, look at the size of that roll of asphalt felt! I don’t think you would ever need more than that for patch work.
Matt screwed the plywood into the joists. Then used roofing nails to fix the asphalt felt over the entirety of the area to be patched. Then he layered the shingles on, following the pattern that was being used already on the roof, using the roofing nails again. This is where it went slightly downhill. He should have started at the bottom and layered them on top going up. It’s the easy and logical way to approach this job. But he didn’t. He immediately regretted this. So, you know, you should start at the bottom and move up.
Also important to note, the bottom most row of shingles needs a double layer. On the top most layer going on for the patch, you need to tuck them under the existing shingles.
This isn’t quite the finished picture. Note that the creases on the two new rows are meeting instead of being offset. He added the second layer of the bottom row and then it was offset correctly.
Matt did a wonderful job! We’ll probably need to replace our roof altogether in about 3-5 years, but I’m excited to know that we don’t have to worry about it right now just because of some raccoons. I tried to explain this as well as I could considering I didn’t do it, but if you have any questions, feel free to ask me in the comments and I’ll make sure to get the answers from Matt!